Tackling Indigenous Smoking
Who are we:
The Tackling Indigenous Smoking (TIS) Program is a targeted initiative funded by the Australian Government. The program is community-led that aims to reduce smoking rates among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Our team works side by side with community members to create a healthy environment where future generations will have a smoke-free place to live in and our success is measured by the number of people who quit smoking.
Furthermore, as a community-led program, the TIS team at Anyinginyi Health Aboriginal Corporation is devoted to supporting healthier lifestyles within the Barkly region.
What we do:
The team assists people to quit smoking using evidence-based practice approaches as well as relevant resources which ensures people have the tools to start their quitting journey. Approaches and tools include but are not limited to Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), and designing culturally appropriate resources. The TIS team works across the Barkly region to deliver adequate support to eleven remote communities:
- Tennant Creek
- Ali Curung
- Imangara (Murray Downs)
- Canteen Creek
- Marlinja (Newcastle Waters)
- Corella Creek
- Alpurrurulam (Lake Nash)
The TIS team is also vigilant to build a sustainable relationship with local community members, organisations, and business stores through partnerships and events.
The TIS team works to:
- Improving access to support services
- Reducing the amount of second-hand smoking
- Raising awareness about the dangers of smoking
- Helping smokers to quit and stay smoke-free
- Helping health professionals to support people to quit smoking
The TIS team has developed many resources to promote quitting smoking. These resources include:
- social media posts
- videos about people who successfully managed to quit smoking
- smoke-free air fresheners
- T‑shirts and hats
- working with a local Aboriginal artist to paint professional paintings regarding a smoke-free environment
For further information or support contact the TIS team today. Text QUIT to 0438 923 985 and a TIS worker will contact you!
Meet the team!